Tuesday, February 6, 2007

The adoption rollercoaster... I'm on the upswing!


Well, after my last post and a couple of depressing days, we had some happy times last night that changed my mood! Moses came home early hoping that our foster family may be able to make it to the internet cafe before they closed at 6:00. If they were able to make it, they were going to call to let us know so that we could attempt to chat with them via instant messenger. We heard nothing, which of course added to my sadness. Moses & Max were doing their best to cheer me up... they stopped at the store so that Max could get me a goodie bag. I don't think I've ever seen a bigger heart shaped lollipop in my life! Needless to say, Max was very excited that it was large enough for us to share.


So, after dinner and some family time, I was getting ready for bed. I wanted to check our email account one more time to see if I'd received a response to an inquiry I sent to a hotel in Guatemala. To my surprise, I had an instant message from someone in Guatemala. Her name is Leslye and she is a friend (and neighbor) of Ligia & Angel who are fostering Lili! She spoke a little english, so I was able to speak IM with her briefly, but then I offered to get Moses to speak spanish with her. When he started talking with her, she told us that she was on the phone with Ligia, and that Ligia and Lili were on their way to her house!!!! I can't even tell you how excited we were! We spoke with Leslye until they arrived, then Leslye was able to use her digital camera to take some photos of Lili and send them to us via the IM. We were also able to test out the computer to computer "phone" calls (like I've been trying out with my parents). Because Leslye did not have a microphone on her computer, they were unable to talk live to us, but they did have speakers so they could hear Moses speaking to them. They would listen to him speak, and then they would respond by typing on the IM. We were able to talk to them for almost 20 minutes before their battery on the laptop started to die. We did make arrangements with them that we are going to send money for Ligia to get internet access at home and to purchase a web camera. That way, Ligia and Angel and their daughters can call us live on the computer at anytime from home with Lili, rather than having to go to the internet cafe!!!


Wow... it's amazing how the smallest things will uplift you during this process! I was so down about everything yesterday, but thanks to my AMAZING husband, my sensitive son, and my two best girlfriends at work (Rebecca & Patty), I was able to get through the day. And thanks to the prayers that I offered up all weekend and all day yesterday, we were able to communicate with Lili!!!

No comments: